It’s an industry fact: the majority of insurance claims are preventable. Often, the difference between a safe, smooth-running business, and one filled with headaches and potential financial catastrophe, is taking a few minutes at the beginning and end of every business day to review a brief safety checklist – then, taking preventative measures where needed.
However, the hectic pace of day-to-day operations and the desire to get home after a long day may encourage even the best of us to slack-off and neglect responsibilities.
To streamline the process and keep your head in the game, Universal Insurance has prepared an easy-to-use safety checklist. We outline the basics in this article, and then give you an opportunity to receive a free copy of the list.
We recommend that you post the checklist at the salon’s front counter – and also post reminder forms near all exits. It’s also a good idea that staff who are responsible for opening and closing have the checklist on their phones.
Closing & Opening Safety Checklist (Example Only)
- Spray-Tan Machines
- Is the system’s water supply turned off at closing?
- Is the floor area around the system clean and dry?
- Are all hoses connected properly and free from kinks, blisters or bubbles?
- Is the overflow and drainage area beneath the unit empty?
- Is the waste water pump working properly?
- Washers & Dryers
- Are washers off and empty of water at closing?
- Are water supply valves off and connections secure?
- Are water hoses secure and free of kinks, blisters or bubbles?
- Is the floor clean and dry?
- Are dryers off and lint traps clean at closing?
- Are exhaust hoses connected properly and free of dust and lint?
- Never run washers & dryers when the salon is closed or unattended.
- Alarms, Security Systems, Doors, Windows & Signage
- Have alarms been properly activated at closing time?
- Are security cameras operational?
- Are recording/monitoring devices operational?
- Are smoke alarms operating properly and batteries checked?
- Are doors securely locked at closing?
- Are windows closed and locked at closing?
- Are business signs (open/closed) properly set?
- Are fire extinguishers easy to locate, recently inspected and operational?
- Toilets & Sinks
- Are toilets and sinks shut off at closing?
- Are toilets and sinks clean and empty of any waste?
- Can you hear water running in any area of the facility?
- Are all shut-off valves operational?
- Coffee Makers & Appliances
- Are coffee makers off at closing – including warmers and burners?
- Are coffee makers clean and empty?
- Are appliances such as microwave ovens clean, empty and shut off at closing?
- Are refrigerators operating properly and doors closed securely at all times?
- Is the floor near coffee makers and appliances dry and clean?
- Air-Conditioners, Heating Systems, Hot Water Heaters & Thermostats
- Have thermostats for AC/heating systems been set to the proper temperature at closing?
- Is the hot water heater operating properly and the area around it dry and clean?
- Are vents and filters clean and free of dust, etc.?
- Equipment & Room Check
- Are all tanning and spa systems off at closing?
- Are all rooms empty and no customers inside the salon?
- Are all trash cans empty?
Each salon is unique, and you may need to add more items to your open/close checklists. It is also a good idea to have emergency contacts in place and responsibilities assigned in the event of an emergency – day or night.