In today’s world, the risk of an uninsured pollution event is real. Dangerous chemicals, hazardous waste and contamination pose a significant threat to facility owners and managers. Like others in the self-storage industry, you may have asked yourself some of these questions:
- How should I properly dispose of drums containing gasoline, oil, or other unknown substances? What if there are vapors, fumes or liquids?
- What if a leak leads to ground contamination from RVs, boats or other fuel-filled equipment?
- What steps can I take to keep my facility safe from illegal or prohibited storage uses such as meth labs or bombs?
- Do I have tenants who may unknowingly be breaking a lease, risking injury and damage – not only to themselves, but to others, including me?
INSURANCE POLICIES EXCLUDE MOST POLLUTION SCENARIOS, LEAVING A SELF-STORAGE FACILITY VULNERABLE.
If your facility sustains a fire from a hazardous explosion, the damage should be covered by a standard package policy and the police will take care of apprehending the perpetrators. But you are left with the mess, the clean-up costs, and the challenge of rebuilding your hard-won reputation for running a quality operation.
Word travels fast these days, both through traditional media as well as social media. Now, more than ever, business owners and managers are charged with effectively responding to potentially negative commentary which can affect not only current clients, but future business.
WHAT CAN YOU DO TO PROTECT YOURSELF AND YOUR BUSINESS?
Legal liability insurance coverage for pollution events can be essential, but it’s not readily available in the marketplace. And even if it can be found, it’s sometimes prohibitively expensive.
That’s why Universal Insurance created an easy and affordable solution. It’s called Pollution Liability Underwriting for Self-Storage, or PLUSS, and is underwritten by Philadelphia Insurance Companies, rated by AM Best as A++ Superior/XV.
PLUSS is a risk-purchasing group that groups similar businesses together to buy liability coverage collectively, with the goal of reducing cost.
By banding together, members can enjoy coverage for:
- Legal liability for pollution conditions and legal defense
- $1,000,000 for each loss
- $25,000,000 total of all group losses
- On-site clean-up
- Business interruption
- Higher mold limits
Universal Insurance is proud to provide the valuable tool of protecting self-storage facilities with the insurance product PLUSS, which can save a facility from exposure to great physical and financial harm. From a chemical spill to an explosive fire, from RV dump stations to meth labs, a self-storage facility can be covered.
FREE ACCESS TO EXPERTS TO HELP WITH POLLUTION EMERGENCIES.
Fuel spills and pollution releases can be major headaches for owners. As a member of PLUSS, you’ll have FREE access to experts, giving you 24/7 peace of mind.
The members of PLUSS have access to its broad network, providing the right specialist for the job at pre-negotiated discounted rates and can even help you in taking the first steps in dealing with a pollution emergency. Services include:
- Emergency spill response and reporting
- Environmental consulting
- Waste disposal
- Communications help with social and traditional media
- Fuel spills and pollution release claims (through Spill Center, a technology leader in spill-support services and electronic emergency-response management systems)
- Engineering claims support (through Hydro Environmental Technologies, , experts in environmental health and safety and risk management)
- Additional services available at a discount